Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID)
AVID applications will be available for downloading at the Greenwood School District 50 website, under Schools of Choice tab. If you do not have the resources to download the application, please call 864-941-5652 and request that an application packet be mailed to you.
What is AVID?
AVID's mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
Goals of AVID· become a leader in school activities.· increase student readiness for a four-year college experience.· become educated and responsible participants and leaders in a democratic society.Benefits of AVID
· Specific instruction in organization and study skills. Students will learn and apply study skills and learning strategies to improve performance in the content areas.· A focus on the development of attitudes, skills, and work habits needed to be successful in high school, college, and the work world.
· An exposure to a variety of public services and community activities.Criteria to Choose Potential AVID Candidates
· Students who work well independently, as well as in a group setting.· Students who take ownership of their class work and homework to the best of their ability.
· Academic achievement scores.
· Students interested in pursuing a four-year college degree.· Students who have a desire and willingness to grow in their academics while enhancing their leadership skills.Requirements/Benefits for AVID Students· Enroll and participate in an AVID exploratory class throughout the year—therefore, the student has only one other exploratory period.
· Maintain an organization binder.
· Participate in Community Service in and out of school.
· Work with tutors from college campuses.
· Motivational and informative guest speakers.
· Visit college and/or high school campuses.