Ms. Lee's Busy Bees2018-2019
Here are a few tips for helping your child be a successful reader.
Read with your child each day! This includes time that you read to him/her and that they read to you. It is crucial that your child understands the importance of literacy!
When your child is stuck on a word, say these things to help:
- "Look at the picture. Are there clues in it?"
- "Think about the story. What is happening?"
- "What word would fit in that space? ... Does the word you said match the one on the page?"
- "Go back to the beginning and try it again."
- "Look at the first letter. Get your mouth ready to say that word."
- “Look for chunks in the word, such as it in sit, at in mat, or and in stand.”
- “Does the word look like another word that they know? Does bed look like red?, for example.”
- “Skip that word. Read the rest of the sentence. Now do you know the word?”
Where you choose to read is important. Find a quiet place where your child will not be distracted. Make reading time a fun time.