Hodges Institute/Fuller Institute
The first school located at the Brewer School site on East Cambridge Avenue was the Hodges Institute, founded by the Baptists and named for the Reverend Nicholas Ware Hodges, a minister in the area who was active in Baptist education. Adjacent to the two-story brick school erected in 1847 for boys, the Baptists built another brick building for a girls’ school, named the Fuller Institute for another Baptist minister, the Reverend Richard Fuller.
A School Named Brewer
After the Civil War, the Methodists purchased the Fuller Institute to use the building for a church. The trustees of the Hodges Institute sold it to the American Missionary Association in 1872, which then opened Brewer Institute (later designated
The school’s name was in honor of the Reverend Josiah Brewer, a scholar, missionary to
Brewer Becomes a Public School
In 1935, after 60 years of assistance to
The base of a lamppost on the
ADMINISTRATION OF dR. sANDERS
In 1945 Dr. Benjamin James Sanders, Jr., who began as a teacher of sciences at Brewer Normal School in 1928, became principal of Brewer High School. During his tenure the faculty grew from seven to sixty-four teachers, and the student population increased from less than 400 to 1600. The school was also accredited during this period. Mindful of the proud tradition continued at Brewer, Dr. Sanders salvaged the bell from the original two-story building and requested that it be left on campus where it sits atop a brick base today.
BREWER INTERMEDIATE/MIDDLE SCHOOL
When District 50 schools were integrated in 1970, Brewer became an intermediate school, housing grades five and six. In 1994, after a district restructuring, Brewer opened its doors as
BREWER MIDDLE moves to Emerald Road
Brewer Middle School began the 2005-2006 school year in a new location on Emerald Road. The Brewer School campus on East Cambridge Avenue is now the Brewer Community Complex. This complex is home to the Magic Johnson Empowerment Center, which offers recreation activities, afterschool assistance, computer classes, and exercise facilities.